Frank Broughton's Digital Photography

Valentine Flats Farm

The current Valentine’s Flats area was first deeded by the Holland Land Company to Elisha Derby (pronounce "Darby") in 1837. The land became known as "Darby Flats." According to old maps, his house was located just below Overlook Point. In 1900, the land was sold to Ernest and Caroline Valentine and later became known as "Valentine’s Flats." In 1926, the Valentine property was deeded to Niagara, Lockport and Ontario Power Company. The Valentine family stayed on the farm as tenants for a time. After the house was no longer occupied, the field in the Flats area was rented out for bean farming. (source DEC MUA Final Plan)

Valentine Flats Farm Building FoundationValentine Flats Farm Building Foundation
Valentine Flats Farm Building Foundation

The Farm area in circa 1947 - photo on left from Martin's Point and the right photo from Lookout Point:
Valentine Flats Farm c1947Valentine Flats Farm c1947

This page last updated October 23, 2008


Home    Gallery    Zoar Valley    Links    Blog    Contact Us
© 2003-2009 Frank Broughton